Have you ever thought about volunteering your time to a local charity or community organization?
There are many different reasons for you to start volunteering:
- To help others - giving something back
- Personal growth - to learn about an activity or organization that interests you
- To beat boredom (if you find yourself sitting around the house feeling totally bored, volunteering in an activity you enjoy can be a great way to change things)
- To overcome a loss you have experienced (one of the best ways to help yourself in a time of loss is to help others)
- To gain perspective on life (there is no better way to understand your blessings than to help people in need)
- To achieve a goal, receive recognition and feedback
- Bringing about social change
- Friendship, support, bonding and a feeling of belonging
Your reasons for volunteering are as individual as you are, but no matter what your reasons you can get a lot out of volunteering. You can learn about yourself, learn about others and meet a lot of interesting people by volunteering. You can help others as you help yourself.
The steps are easy!
1) Fill out a volunteer application. Download below or pick one up at CIty Hall, 3231 Main Street.
2) Fill in the application COMPLETELY. It is essential to, so that we have your full contact information,details and interests.
3) Each volunteer will go through a brief interview in order to meet each other and discuss your interests. The City of Oakley strives to match the volunteer with activities that they will love and learn from.
4) Volunteers will be contacted with opportunities.
THANK YOU for assisting the City of Oakley in building a better community and truly making this a "Place for Families in the Heart of the Delta".
If you have any questions please contact the Recreation Division at 925-625-7041.