Oakley Youth Advisory Council
The Oakley Youth Advisory Council is an twenty-one person council of youth representatives that advise the City of Oakley on policies that peratin to our youth community.
The Youth Advisory Council focuses on enriching experiences for youths in ways that influence them using the 40 Developmental Assets. These Assets are values, skills, and experiences that youth need to develop and grow to be caring, responsible members of the community.
Their role is to:
- Petition our local government and City Council for a right to influence regulations that effect youth.
- Advise City leaders and advisorys on cultural awareness and other related topics.
- Assist the Oakley Police Department by creating a safe and moral alternative activities that deter youth from delinquent opportunities.
- Form alliances with local organizations, schools and businesses to help provide constructive activities for teens.
- Aid the youth community by assisting in solving problems concerning their interests and find ways of increasing student participation within community.
In partnership with the City of Oakley's Recreation Division, we create programs that build character and integrity. Programs they are involved in include After School Program, High School Bash, Middle School Dance, Teen Concert and more!!
To join O.Y.A.C. you must:
- Be a resident of Oakley
- Be between 6th and 12th grade
- Fill out a short application and participate in an informal interview
- Be ready to make a difference in your city!