Building Permits

To obtain a Building Permit in the City of Oakley you will need to complete a Building Permit Application. Depending on the complexity of the project; building plans may be required. To determine if your project requires plans please contact the Building Division at (925) 625-7005. Permits that do not require plans can be obtained the same day by completing a permit application; typically projects like re-roofs, water heaters and electrical service upgrades do not require plans and are considered to be “over the counter permits.” Permits can only be issued to either the owner of the property or to a licensed contractor licensed by the State of California License Board.

* Please note that one should make an appointment with the Building Department BEFORE ANY WORK HAS BEGUN to ensure that the project does not require a permit, rather than relying on interpreting the list.


CD Waste Management Plan Kitchen Remodel Requirements Expedited Solar Permit Requirements (AB2188) Energy Requirements for Water Heater
Permit Application Swimming Pool and Spa Handout Smoke and CO Certification Form Energy Requirements for Windows
Accessory Structures Requirements Residential Addition Handout Energy Requirements for Re-roof Energy Requirements for HVAC
Regulations on Lead Kitchen Remodel Requirements