Frequently Asked Questions

Are there regulations on fence heights?

The permitted location and maximum height of fences in residential areas are subject to the property’s zoning and size.  Most fences separating two properties can be up to seven feet high (over 6 feet requires a building permit), but fences along street sides or in front of the house are required to be shorter.  You may contact the Planner on Call at (925) 625-7000 to inquire further about fencing on your property.  Planning may also transfer you to Engineering for information on where fences can be built at the front of the property.  Please note that Staff is unable to verify location of side and rear property lines or settle any neighbor disputes regarding those property lines.  Owners should look into hiring a land surveyor for property line verification.

Where is the Oakley 2020 General Plan?

You may view an online version of the Oakley General Plan here.  Please note the Figures are separate files, and will not be shown in the General Plan text.  If you need further assistance, please call (925) 625-7000 to speak with the Planner on Call.

How are property set backs determined?

Property setbacks are determined by the applicable zoning district for a given property.  To inquire about setbacks for a specific property, please call (925) 625-7000 to speak with the Planner on Call, or make a citizen request with a property address or APN (if known).

How big can I build a shed or patio cover?

The location, size, and height of a residential shed, patio cover, or other accessory structure is dependent on the property’s zoning classification and setbacks.  For the best service on this topic, please call (925) 625-7000 to speak with the Planner on Call.

Where can I find information on specific zoning on a property?

For information on the specific zoning on a property, please call (925) 625-7000 to speak with the Planner on Call.

  • Associate Planner

    Evan Gorman

  • Community Development Director

    Ken Strelo