Prevent Delta pollution. Everything that goes down a storm drain flows directly into local waterways and the Delta. Keep common pollutants from storm drain inlets, such as swimming pool and spa discharge, pesticides and fertilizers, motor oil, paints, grass clippings, litter, and pet waste. Properly dispose of household hazardous waste at the designated drop-off center at Delta Diablo. To participate, make an appointment online at https://www.deltadiablo.org/household-hazardous-waste or call (925) 756-1900.
Swimming pools and spas are commonly installed in Oakley homes as one of preferred recreational opportunities. To keep swimming pool and spa water clear and safe to swim, they are typically treated with Chlorine, a common disinfectant. When chlorinated water is discharged to street curb and gutter, these chemicals can end up in storm drains, creeks, and the Delta, where they can harm aquatic wildlife.
Check out BMPs for pools, spas, and fountain.
Learn ways to protect our creeks and the Delta:
- BMPs for swimming pools, spas, and fountains
- Tips for Pollution Prevention in Your Home (Baywise.org)
- Less Toxic Gardening Products (Our Water, Our World)
- Hire a Green Gardener
- Reduce Motor Vehicle Pollution
Volunteer in Our Community
The natural beauty of our flora, fauna, and natural areas make living in Oakley special. Help protect and improve our watersheds. Participate in a creek clean-up organized by Friends of Marsh Creek Watershed.
Street sweeping plays a key role in maintaining the cleanliness and safety of our community by clearing away debris such as dirt, metals, petroleum residues, trash, and plant matter that accumulates on our roads and paths. Ensuring contaminants do not enter our storm drains is important, as they can pollute our local creeks and the San Francisco Bay. Keeping these drains unobstructed minimizes pollution and diminishes the risk of flooding during heavy downpours.
Street sweepers cannot pick up large pieces or piles. For effective street sweeping, please follow these guidelines:
- Avoid placing leaves or debris in the street or gutter.
- Refrain from raking, sweeping, or blowing debris into the street or gutter.
- Keep items like palm fronds, lengthy twigs, and branches away from the street or gutter.
- Regularly pick up trash near your residence or business.
- Trim trees and bushes to ensure sweepers can access the curb easily.
- To avoid flooding during rain, clear leaves from storm drain inlets.